Sunday, November 22, 2020

Baked Falafel

Some notes about this recipe. I do not have a food processor and I used my ninja blender. I had difficulty getting the mixture processed properly and it ended up very smooth. It still baked well, but it did not have the right consistency for falafels. I wish I had a food processor for this and I think it would have turned out much better with one. 

I also think this recipe had too much salt, so next time I will reduce the salt quite a bit. Otherwise, it tasted great! It is super easy to prepare so I would like to try to make this again one day if I ever get a food processor. 

I did not flip the falafel halfway through cooking but I think it would have been better if I did.  If you look at my pictures the falafel looks very much like cookies! I mean they are delicious so you could eat them like savory cookies. 

The original recipe by David Branagan instructs you to fry them. I do not like fry foods at all so I rarely do. If I can figure out alternatives to frying something I do. So I baked them and they were great! Check out my video below the recipe to see how I made these. 



Baked Falafel

Recipe adapted from DAVID BRANAGAN at Delishably.com

INGREDIENTS

·         3 cans (14oz) Chickpeas, drained and rinsed

·         4 cloves of garlic

·         1 small onion, coarsely chopped

·         1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

·         1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

·         1 1/2 tsp salt

·         1 tsp cumin

·         1/4 tsp chili powder

·         Sprinkle black pepper

·         1 tsp baking powder

·         1/3 cup plain flour

 

DIRECTIONS

1.       Preheat oven to 400*F

2.       Drain the chickpeas, rinse well, and set aside.

3.       Combine chopped onion, garlic cloves, parsley, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Remove from food processor and place into a bowl.

4.       Add the chickpeas to the food processor and process until finely chopped as well. Transfer to the bowl with the other mixture.

5.       Combine both together with the flour and baking powder.

6.       Use a small scoop to measure out the mixture and place onto a baking sheet.

7.       Carefully flatten the balls of falafel mixture with your fingers.

8.       Spray with cooking spray.

9.       Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes flipping halfway.

10.   Remove from the oven and let cool.

11.   Serve with some salad, inside a pita pocket or dip into your favorite hummus or yogurt dip.

  








No comments:

Post a Comment